Archive ID: 1982-190-23

South Chicago Community Hospital operating room

Date Created: undated

Donor: South Chicago Community Hospital

Media Type: Photograph

Description:

South Chicago Community Hospital operating room.

Backstory:

This photo depicts an early operating room with doctor and nurses at South Chicago Community Hospital (now Trinity). In 1917, it was a small foundering institution, close to bankruptcy, when Clara Dorothy Schafer (1898-1972) was brought on as assistant superintendent. After the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, neighborhood leaders decided that the institution was worth saving. Schafer became superintendent in 1920 and a well-known and beloved figure. Known for her incredible devotion to the hospital, and doing everything from scrubbing floors to visiting patients, she turned the institution around. She also made the School of Nursing a success, expanding an occupation that was a key one for women at the time. The Museum holds a number of photographs and a scrapbook of nurses who worked at South Chicago Community Hospital.

Rights Policy:

Materials posted on this site have been donated to the Southeast Chicago Historical Society and Museum for public use. If there are any questions or concerns about materials posted, please contact us. Some of the materials on this site are protected under Creative Commons licensing. For information on use and reproduction, please see the following Rights Policy.

Questions?

Contact us with any inquiries.

Filters:

Community Life   Mill/Paid Labor   Other   Women’s Experiences   Other/Unknown   South Chicago   Other/Unknown   Photograph   1982-190   Doctors   Hospitals   Masks   Nurses   South Chicago Community Hospital   Stools  

Featured Curation: Cradle to Grave

Featured Curation: Women at Work