Archive ID: 1983-004-17

Milan’s Restaurant and Pizzeria in Hegewisch

Date Created: undated

Donor: Sam Panayatovich

Media Type: Photograph

Language: English


Original Milan’s Restaurant at 13301 Baltimore in downtown Hegewisch around 1950. The restaurant was owned by Milan Panayotovich, whose parents, Sam and Ella, previously operated Sam’s Snack Shop at the same Hegewisch location. Sam and Ella had immigrated to Southeast Chicago from Serbia. Milan’s was located in a building built in 1888 that was formerly home to the Hegewisch Opera House. It would later become the location of Cousins Restaurant which opened in 1969.

Rights Policy:

Materials posted on this site have been donated to the Southeast Chicago Historical Society and Museum for public use. If there are any questions or concerns about materials posted, please contact us. Some of the materials on this site are protected under Creative Commons licensing. For information on use and reproduction, please see the following Rights Policy.


Contact us with any inquiries.


Buildings/Landmarks   Restaurants   Small Businesses   Other/Unknown   Hegewisch   Other/Unknown   Photograph   1983-004   Businesses   Clocks   Food   Ice cream   Restaurants   Stools   Telephone booths   Telephones   Workers