Archive ID: 1982-077-31

Priests on beach at Camp Lange

Date Created: undated

Donor: Anna Monka

Media Type: Photograph


Camp Lange was a summer camp in Michigan City, Indiana that opened in July of 1939. The camp was sponsored by the Russell Square Community Committee based in the largely Polish “Bush” section of South Chicago near St Michael the Archangel church and the US Steel – South Works mill. The group provided recreational youth programs and promoted the welfare and social betterment of the community. The Camp was named after a St. Michael’s priest, Rev. John Lange, who was also one of the founders of the St. Michael’s Boys Club. Fr. Lange came to St. Michael’s as an assistant in 1911, was appointed pastor in 1915, and served in that capacity until his death in 1960. The seven-acre camp was located on Walton Lake, seven miles southeast of Michigan City. Children from South Chicago could spend a week or two at the summer camp which had cabins, a mess hall, boating facilities, swimming beach, and woodcraft facilities. The camp closed in 1960. The Museum has a large number of photographs of St. Michael’s and Father Lange that were donated by the extended Lange family.

Rights Policy:

Materials posted on this site have been donated to the Southeast Chicago Historical Society and Museum for public use. If there are any questions or concerns about materials posted, please contact us. Some of the materials on this site are protected under Creative Commons licensing. For information on use and reproduction, please see the following Rights Policy.


Contact us with any inquiries.


Churches   Community Life   Recreation   Other/Unknown   Other/Unknown   Other/Unknown   Photograph   1982-077   Animals   Beaches   Camp Lange   Camps   Catholic   Dogs   Hats   Indiana   Lake Michigan   Lakes   Michigan City   Pipes   Priests   Russell Square Community Committee   Smoking   St. Michael Archangel   St. Michael's   The Bush